Fourteen European healthcare providers, representing close to 900 hospitals and health centres, are participating in the Race to Zero campaign.
Initiated by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Race to Zero is a global campaign to rally leadership and support for a healthy, resilient, zero carbon recovery. Nearly 40 healthcare institutions representing the interests of more than 3,000 hospitals and health centres in 18 countries have joined the race.
By joining Race to Zero, healthcare facilities commit to reaching net-zero by 2050 at the latest and halving their emissions by 2030. Some European hospitals are already committed to more ambitious targets, such as reaching net zero as early as 2030.
Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) mobilises healthcare institutions around the world to protect public health from climate change through the Health Care Climate Challenge. The Challenge has recently become the official Race to Zero healthcare partner. In this capacity, HCWH will be working over the course of 2021 and beyond to build a robust leadership coalition of healthcare institutions committed to zero emissions by 2050 or sooner.
Are you interested in joining the Health Care Climate Challenge and Race to Zero? For more information, please consult our Health Care Climate Challenge and Race to Zero web pages or contact Anna Fuhrmann, Climate Officer - HCWH Europe.
European healthcare providers participating in Race to Zero:
- Capital Region of Denmark (Denmark)
- Centre Hospitalier de Niort (France)
- Evangelische Elisabeth Klinik (Germany)
- Evangelisches Krankenhaus Hubertus (Germany)
- Fachklinik Gaißach (Germany)
- Krankenhaus Havelhöhe (Germany)
- General Hospital of Syros (Greece)
- Galician Health Service (Spain)
- Hospital General La Mancha Centro (Spain)
- Region Västra Götaland (Sweden)
- Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust (United Kingdom)
- Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (United Kingdom)
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals (United Kingdom)
- NHS Highlands (United Kingdom)