The stage is set - our judging panel has selected four finalists, and one will be chosen as the Sustainable Healthcare Project of the Year 2023. Tune in to the award ceremony on 7 June 2023, broadcast live from Berlin as part of our online conference CleanMed Europe.
With the support of Philips, we want to shine a light on the great work taking place across European healthcare in the urgent transition to climate-neutral, circular, and resource-efficient economies.
“There is growing momentum across the healthcare industry towards more sustainable and low-carbon healthcare models. Through this much-needed initiative, we can find, spotlight, scale, and further accelerate best practices in public and private healthcare organisations across Europe.”
Robert Metzke, Global Head of Sustainability - Philips
Sustainable healthcare across Europe
We received over 35 fantastic applications for this year's awards, demonstrating the impressive sustainability work in European healthcare. We want to thank everyone who submitted their projects, tackling important challenges from reducing anaesthetic gasses to redesigning work clothing to reduce waste. Our judging panel has learnt so much about these amazing sustainable healthcare projects and faced the difficult task of narrowing them down to just four finalists:
- Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS Scotland
- Radboud University Medical Center
Our four finalists received the top marks across six equally-weighted criteria assessed by our prestigious judging panel:
- Impact Does the project demonstrate bold thinking and actions that make a significant and measurable contribution to sustainability goals in healthcare, particularly with benefits to clinical services?
- Reach/community benefit - Do the project's benefits extend beyond the organisation's boundaries, e.g. to the local community?
- Cost/benefit - Is there a clear and compelling business case underpinning the project?
- Replicability - To what extent can the solution/s be adopted by other healthcare providers and scaled across Europe?
- Innovation - Does the project demonstrate novel thinking or a cutting-edge solution to achieving its objectives?
Our judging panel
Chosen for their wide range of experience and expertise in sustainable healthcare, our judges drew together a final shortlist of four projects.
- Dr Fiona Adshead, Chair - Sustainable Healthcare Coalition [UK]
- Dr Oliver Groene, PhD, CEO - International Network of Health Promoting Hospitals and Health Services [DE]
- Gary Cohen, President and Co-Founder - Health Care Without Harm [US]
- Sonia Roschnik, Executive Director - Geneva Sustainability Centre (International Hospital Federation) [CH]
- Simona Agger, Professor/Architect and HCWH Europe Board member [IT]
- Robert Metzke, Global Head of Sustainability - Philips [NL]
Thank you again to everyone who applied for the inaugural Sustainable Healthcare Project of the Year award. Are you interested in applying next year? Sign up for our newsletters and never miss an update.