Carbon management mentoring programme for the Valencia region
Contact: Mireia Figueras Alsius
In collaboration with Departament de Salut Xàtiva Ontiynent (Spain), HCWH Europe has established a mentoring programme to support hospitals in the Valencia region (Spain) to integrate climate action into their healthcare planning and develop expertise in carbon management.
The lack of awareness, education, and training on sustainable healthcare are crucial barriers to achieving zero emissions in the sector. By improving carbon literacy among healthcare staff at 11 hospitals in the Valencia region, HCWH Europe and Departament de Salut Xàtiva Ontiynent will support these institutions to develop carbon management plans. It will also empower individuals to drive climate action at their hospitals and push for ambitious carbon reduction targets within their organisations and beyond.
Carbon management in healthcare
This project will utilise a standard methodology for healthcare carbon management, developed as part of the Low-carbon healthcare in the Mediterranean region project. HCWH Europe’s Healthcare decarbonisation toolkit: Experiences from the Mediterranean region provides an overview of this methodology. This toolkit offers an introduction to the key concepts of carbon management, as well as a practical step-by-step guide to developing a carbon management plan that charts a course for decarbonisation in line with the Paris Agreement.
To prepare and support staff at 11 hospitals in the Valencia region to calculate their healthcare emissions and develop carbon management plans, with mentoring support from HCWH Europe and Hospital Lluís Alcanyís on their path to zero carbon healthcare.
Healthcare staff at participating hospitals will:
- Gain knowledge of carbon management in healthcare
- Put this knowledge into practice by calculating their carbon footprint baseline.
- Learn from best practices and discuss with healthcare providers that have already developed a carbon management plan, with specific guidance from Hospital Lluís Alcanyís.
- Support a system-wide green and healthy hospital strategy in Comunitat Valenciana
Mentor: Hospital Lluís Alcanyís Hospital of Xàtiva, Departament de Salut Xàtiva Ontiynent
- Hospital Marina Baixa
- Hospital de Requena
- Hospital Sant Joan d'Alcant
- Hospital Verge dels Lliris d' Alcoi
- Hospital General de Castelló
- Hospital de Elda
- Hospital Dr. Peset Valencia
- Hospital Francesc de Borja de Gandía
- Hospital General de Elx
- Hospital de Sagunto
- Hospital de Sant Vicent del Raspeig in Alacant
Funded by the IKEA Foundation. Views and opinions expressed are, however those of Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) Europe only and do not necessarily reflect those of the IKEA Foundation. The IKEA Foundation cannot be held responsible for them.