Will Clark, Executive Director - Health Care Without Harm Europe
As 2023 draws to a close and we start getting ready for the festive season, it is a perfect time to look back and reflect on the many successes and achievements we’ve enjoyed this past year.
For HCWH Europe, 2023 was another year of continued growth and exciting new initiatives and opportunities. Our networks continue to grow, reflecting the ever-increasing interest in sustainable healthcare across Europe. We end the year with over 190 GGHH members, representing over 7,500 individual hospitals and healthcare facilities across 27 countries. We have also seen marked growth in our health professional networks, with membership reaching 302 doctors, 636 nurses and 79 pharmacists in 2023.
Other highlights include:
- Our flagship conference, CleanMed Europe, was held in June with a very successful new hybrid format. The five-day virtual conference was complemented with a one-day German language event in Berlin, organised in partnership with local members and our German partner KLUG.
- With over 400 attendees, we were delighted to see that 97% of participants would recommend the event to others. CleanMed Europe 2024 will be held on 3-7 June 2024 - save the date!
- Announced at CleanMed Europe, NHS Scotland was the winner of our inaugural European Sustainable Healthcare Project of the Year with their Green Anaesthesia Scotland initiative – congratulations again!
- We launched a ground-breaking, three-year project aimed at greening perinatal care services in Europe, secured through a multi-million Euro partnership with one of our main funders – look out for more news to follow in 2024.
- We produced a host of fantastic publications, tools and events across our three thematic programmes, which continue to inspire and motivate our members to take action.
- Our revenues topped €3m for the first time, and we end the year in the strongest financial position in the organisation’s history.
All of this amazing work has naturally meant further growth in our team, and we were delighted to welcome a number of talented new faces during the year. As the organisation grows, we continue to adapt and improve, learn and adjust. Supported by our Board of Directors, we are striving to create a work environment that promotes the wellbeing of our dedicated, hard-working team.
2023 also represented an important milestone for our organisation - HCWH Europe’s 20th anniversary! Our team has worked with our members and partners to produce a special report, which we are excited to publish in January. The report looks back at our achievements over our 20-year history, celebrates the very best practice in sustainable healthcare in 2023, and takes a look forward to what the next 20 years might bring.
The European sustainable healthcare movement, led by HCWH Europe, is alive and kicking with many exciting opportunities ahead of us!
In 2024, we will be building a new organisational strategy to take advantage of these opportunities and I am embracing the new year with optimism. Together we can make a difference.
Along with all the HCWH Europe staff, I look forward to continuing to work together with our members and partners to build a stronger and more sustainable healthcare sector in Europe. In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday.